Division and Classification Essays
A division and classification essay can be defined as breaking a large subject into smaller ones so a person can understand the subject more clearly. The division part of the essay looks at how one big project or subject can be broken into several smaller parts. Classification is taking the items and putting them into different categories. The writer must decide how he/she wants to classify the items. What are the most important elements of the subject? How can these be classified?
A division and classification essay is a type of the essay in which the writer divides a big subject into smaller ones, in order the reader could understand the subject better. This kind of essay requires a lot of examples to be used.
The essay consists of two main parts: division and classification.
Division part consists of:
- Introduction, that states the thesis. The main idea of object is presented here.
- Body, that renders the parts. It presents information in separate paragraphs, providing examples and transitional materials to make sense of their inter-relatedness.
- Conclusion that restates the thesis and makes a new understanding of the constituent parts of an essay.
Classification part consists of:
- Introduction that states the thesis of an essay.
- Body, that actually divides big group of subjects, people, events into smaller parts, making separate aerographers. It presents various categories and provides examples.
- Conclusion that restates the categories of the main topic and pays attention to the value of such classification.
A division and classification essay as a form of organization has two main goals: to sort and to explain.
Sorting is when the author divides a big part of things (the customers in a big shopping mall, or the members of a class, or students of one the university and so on) into smaller groups. The author should concentrate on what really separated this group from others, but at the same time to show what unites the subjects of this group. It is possible to do sorting on many levels. Usually, the more the author of the essay knows about the subject, the more precise there can be presented.
The second step of classification or division essay writing is explaining. It is a real core of this type of essay. To sort and organize the subjects into groups is rather easy. Every person makes sorting in every day life, based on some explanation. So, every sorting has its meaning and purpose that should be explained. Usually writers use labels for their categories. While describing usual, standard categories, they use standard labels. In case, when they explain something that is based on their experience, they may use more unique and individual labels.
There are several rules the writer should follow in order to write a good division and classification essay. So, he needs to:
- set up the purpose and understand what he wants to prove in the essay;
- divide the subjects into categories;
- see how each division fits the purpose;
- place the divisions in the right order;
- include special examples to support these divisions;
- check if the introduction fulfills the topic;
- make a good conclusion, emphasizing the purpose of a division and classification essay.